SWATH forum

Author   Comment  
CommZod

SWATH Founder
Reply with quote  #1 
[Alan_Wake_Game_Cover]   [Alan-Wake-American-Nightmare-Box-Art] 

This first time I saw gameplay of Alan Wake I was watching the Microsoft E3 Xbox event in 2009 I think.  I remember seeing some random guy shining a flashlight at shadow people in the woods, I wasn't impressed...  Fast forward 4 years (roughly) and I see this game on a Steam sale for I think about $5 with the DLC, I bought it and there it sat in my library of unplayed games... Until recently.

Story:
Alan Wake is the story of a best selling writer, a writer with the worst possible problem a writer can have.  Writers block.  We start the game on a ferry boat taking Alan and his wife Alice. They are having a get away to the town of Bright Falls in the Pacific northwest.  Here at a cabin on an island in the middle of a lake, Alan will be able to get away from the noise of the city and get some work done. What comes to follow is something directly from the heart of a Stephen King novel. Alan's wife goes missing and Alan wakes up in a car a week later. No recollection of the past we begin a journey that will take us through some very tense moments as we struggle to get Alice back.

Gameplay:
Set up as a 3rd person shooter Alan Wake has some very unique mechanics. Most of your enemies in the game the "Taken" have been possessed by a darkness. Alan can't simply shoot his way through them he must use light to burn the darkness away first. Flashlights, Flares, Flare guns are all vital tools in Alan Wake as well as your management of the batteries and ammo for them. Its a breath of fresh air and breaks up mechanics that would otherwise feel familiar.

Graphics:
As you all know I'm a PC gamer, because of this the visuals in Alan Wake on PC are far better, smoother, and at higher resolution than its console siblings. The artistic direction feels great. Running through the woods at night, making you're way through town at dusk, and an especially great segment at a hydroelectric dam are all excellent eye candy.

Sound:
The sound design in Alan is good. Nothing particularly stands out in my mind besides some great and creepy voice acting. Nothing horrible here either. In general I would say the sound neither distracted nor overly enhanced the game, it was merely there, which isn't a bad thing.

DLC:
Alan Wake's American Nightmare DLC is everything a DLC should be, It added onto the original story with its own stand alon 2-4 hour story of its own. In an age when day 1 DLC has become the norm for things that should have been included in the first place. American Nightmare ads to the story, give us a new setting (Southwestern Desert), as well as throwing in some new weapons and enemies. Truly an example of DLC done right.

Scores
Graphics: 9
Gameplay: 9
Sound: 7
Presentation: 10
DLC: 10

Overall: 9

Final Verdict:
If you have a PC or even an XBox 360 you owe it to yourself to pick up Alan Wake, Its a well written story that leave you waiting for the sequel that will unfortunately never come.

Pick it up on Steam here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/108710/

SWATH Legend
Reply with quote  #2 
I will definitely check this one out

I fly like Namor, get high like Bane...
Supercallo

SWATH Expert
Reply with quote  #3 
I have always wanted to play Alan Wake, never got around to it though. Besides Steam, I think it was an Xbox 360 exclusive, no?

SWATH Founder
Reply with quote  #4 
Yes it was an Xbox exclusive title. Got a PC port 2 years later

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!