SWATH forum

Author   Comment  
The Herd

n00b
Reply with quote  #1 
After posting up my preview and Ryan stating that I should make a separate thread for it here it is.  Preview will be reposted here in a minute, 

The Herd

n00b
Reply with quote  #2 

Fast Lane Preview & Picks

In the road to Wrestlemania we have to get through a throw away PPV (potentially) like Fast Lane.  Creative will have to bring their A game in order to avoid another disaster like the Rumble match.  I have little faith that this will occur but here is the rundown of the card (at least my prediction of how it will go).

Pre-Show Match: Tag Team Title Match: The USO's v. Tyson Kidd/Cesaro.  Is it just me or has the tag team division been pushed back to little more than an afterthought?  Speaking of afterthoughts, Cesaro tagging with Tyson Kidd has got to be the poster children for afterthoughts in the WWE.  Cesaro won the 1st ever Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal at Wrestlemania last year, which apparently was a brass ring to nowhere (shocking).  Meanwhile the Uso's have been at the top of the division for pretty much that same span.  Will there be a changing of the guard, or will the Uso's retain.  If you were rooting for Kidd Cesaro (new name for the team perhaps?) I think this match will make youso crazy (see what I did there? Stick around, its bound to get worse) because I see the Uso's retaining until the Ascension is ready to take the titles from them (Mania would be my bet).  Uso's win, allowing the sons of 2015 Hall of Fame inductee Rikishi (apparently everyone but Chris Benoit is a HOF'er in the WWE's book) to hold the titles through his induction speech. 

Diva's Championship Match: Nikki Bella v Paige - 
Instead of the typical Diva's "intermission" match, I am going with the bold prediction that the Diva's actually open the PPV.  I don't foresee this match going very long and unfortunately for the Pasty British Bombshell Paige this match will last just long enough for the Bella's to hog 85% of the screen time and for Nikki to retain the belt. 

Singles Match: Goldust v. Stardust - Personally, I would have loved to seen this match at Mania seeing as this is kind of the last hoorah for Dustin Rhodes in the WWE, if not Pro Wrestling all together.  Secondly, Cody Rhodes...oops I mean Stardust (what a dumb premise for a match by the way) is yet another under appreciated performer in the WWE.  Is he a main event talent, probably not, but he is a solid mid carder that can keep the energy up in a building for a show.  The Battle of the Dusts could be a sneaky good match but in the end it will probably only get 7-10 minutes at best and be little more than an afterthought at Fast Lane.  I predict that Stardust "goes off the deep end" which given the character arc of Stardust is pretty deep and he manages to get himself DQ'ed. 

Intercontinental Championship: Bad News Barrett v Dean Ambrose - Earlier I stated that Goldust v Stardust had a dumb premise for a match, but nothing tops this one:  Dean Ambrose wants his picture on the wall of IC Champs at WWE headquarters.  I think we all realized some time ago that Creative either ran out of ideas or just gave up all together but the fact its this blatantly obvious is just really sad.  I love Bad New Barrett but unfortunately for him, someone has to lose their title and Barrett drew the short straw.  The Lunatic Fringe speeds into Mania as the new Intercontinental Champion, getting his picture on the wall at WWE World HQ in Stamford, CT (every kids dream I guess).    

US
 Title Match: John Cena v. Rusev - The "Russian" hero (with a tattoo of Bulgaria on his arm....only in the WWE folks) vs the modern day vitamin popping (most likely roids) American flag waving hero Hulk Hogan, crap I mean John Cena.  Ultimately this could be a launching point to make Rusev an unstoppable monster but lets face it, Cena can only lose so many matches a year (Im sure its a clause in his contract) and one might think its a little early for a second loss on the 2015 HLR Train.  However, Im going to make the bold prediction that we will get the inevitable 5 moves of doom, an AA with a Rusev kick out, and finally the "Russian" slaps the Accolade on Cena who eventually "passes out" (since he can "Never Give Up").  Thats right, I am calling for a clean Rusev win (with Vince stealing a page from the NXT Take Over "PPV").

6-man Tag: Dolph Ziggler, Erick Rowan, & Ryback v Seth Rollins, Big Show, & Kane - So the annual will Big Show turn face/heel speculation kicked off just before Fast Lane.  I mean we all know that when WWE Creative is trying to make a splash idea #2 usually has something to do with a Show turn.  Although I do believe that Show doesn't turn his back on Rollins & Kane and becomes a "good soldier" once again.  However, the surprise in this match will come in the form of a Randy Orton return to cost Rollins & Co. the win and setting the ground work for Rollins v Orton at Mania.

#1 Contenders Match: Roman Reigns v Daniel Bryan - The main event could be great, but in order for that to happen Bryan will have to do some heavy lifting.  People may give Cena crap for his "5 moves of Doom" but 5 moves would be a vast expansion of Reign's move set.  However, Bryan probably has been told all week to "make sure you make Reigns look strong" which Bryan being the company man that he is, will do just that.  However, just as the WWE Universe starts to come to grips with Reigns yet again going over, The WWE Champion makes his presence felt and F5's both men setting up a Triple Threat at Mania for the belt (I know that 2 run ins is not creative at all, but remember who we are talking about here). 

Triple H confronts Sting -  The night ends with the Triple H confrontation of Sting.  Ol' Paul will ramble on for about 5-10 minutes about being the King of Kings and the COO of WWE and something about how Sting never had the balls to step into the ring with the Cerebral Assassin because he isnt half the man that the Game is.  Triple H will then make a snide comment on why hasn't Sting come out yet or hell call for Sting to come out and he won't.  At this point the camera's cut away from the ring, showing an attempted ambush of Sting backstage, but Sting has the great equalizer with him, his trusty bat.  Sting fights his way through the ambush and heads to the ramp.  Sting heads to the ring, bat in hand, but Triple H has his own equalizer, the 20 lb Sledge.  A stalemate occurs and then Paul challenges Sting to a match at Mania.  Sting points to the sign and walks away.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on my Fast Lane predictions, as well as any thoughts on my predictions.  After Fast Lane, I will post up the “what the Herd got right/wrong” and my overall reaction to the PPV.  

Supercallo

SWATH Expert
Reply with quote  #3 
I have a hunch there will also be a special stipulation added to the HHH/Sting match at WM. Maybe It'll end up being a No Holds Barred match or even a Hell in the Cell, but personally I wouldn't mind seeing some form of Tag Match. A 6-Man Tag Match: HHH uses Big Show and Kane (like he always does) or even a heel combo of The Outlaws and Sting will bring a couple of his WCW friends for a WM surprise factor. That could also possibly give Hogan his last match he wants as well. That would be a Wrestlemania match for the ages; a heel team version of DX vs. Sting and 2 mystery WCW partners, just let that sink in.....

n00b
Reply with quote  #4 
God help us all if they drag that shell of a man that used to be Hogan to the Ring.  Might as well bring Flair out of retirement too then.  If they do a WCW v WWE tag (and God I hope they dont) New Age Outlaws & Triple H v Sting Jericho & Booker T but Id rather see Triple H v Sting be a singles match because otherwise what was the point of bringing Sting to the WWE?

The Herd

n00b
Reply with quote  #5 

Fast Lane 2015 Summary

Fast Lane opened with the 6-man tag which for the most part went as expected, the Authority dominated the match with a few spots from Ziggler and in the end a big fist from the Big Show while the ref was distracted led to the Kane pin.  Afterwards Rollins decided to issue out some curb stomps to Ziggler and Rowan.  Just as he was ready to curb stomp Ryback Orton’s music hits and Randy comes out and delivers RKO’s to J&J Security and to Kane and gets his hands on Rollins before Big Show saves Seth and they make their escape.

Then Stardust and Goldust match hits with a pep talk to Dustin from the American Dream Dusty Rhodes.  Dustin says that hes going to beat Stardust out of Cody.  Stardust is thrown off by chants from the crowd calling him Cody (which I love the fact that Cody acknowledged the chant from the crowd).  Stardust lost his mind at times but Goldust ultimately wins on a roll up.  Stardust refuses to shake Goldust’s hand and leaves the ring stunned at the loss to Dustin.   Then Cody interrupts Dustin and Dusty talking and beats up Dustin then tells the American Dream that Stardust is no longer living in Dusty’s shadow, but Dusty is living in his.

After the back stage shenanigans the Uso’s v Kidd Cesaro match begins.  This match was pretty back and forth with several high spots.  Kidd Cesaro looked like a very cohesive team and could be more than just a transitional championship team but only time will tell.

Then surprisingly the Triple H and Sting confrontation happened mid show.  I figured that this would come at the end of the show because I kind of thought this was going to be the crescendo of the show.  Triple H came out in his “biker” gear and as Michael Cole stated hes “dressed to fight.”  Triple H apologizes for pushing Flair on Monday Night but regrets nothing he said.  HHH then calls out Sting, and the Stinger comes out.  Trip then brags about putting WCW out of business, says that Sting failed putting him out of business and said that failure is what Sting does.  The Game makes Sting an offer to put everything behind them if Sting just walks away.  Offers to let his legacy live on the Network (missed an opportunity to plug it at $9.99) and to put him in the Hall of Fame.  Then Triple H says that they can do it the hard way and when he wins hell wipe out Stings legacy altogether.  Triple H then attempts to cheap shot Sting with the mic, misses, then Sting attacks the Game and he hits him with the mic.  Then HHH grabs a sledge out from under the ring goes to attack Sting who mysteriously has a bat and make Trip drop the Sledge…then points at the Wrestlemania sign with the bat.  Triple H refuses to accept the challenge several times before accepting then trying to come at Sting.  Sting drops the Game with the bat then drops HHH with a Scorpion Death Drop and walks out of the ring.  Sting v The Game at Mania.

Following the confrontation, the Divas title match starts with Paige coming out first then a video package of what the Bella’s had done to Paige over the last several weeks.  Paige starts the match off hot but gets face planted on the apron and Nikki started to work on Paige.  Paige was able to build some momentum and attempted to put Nikki in the PTO but Nikki was able to get to the ropes.  Nikki was able to roll up Paige and get the 1-2-3 with the added assistance of the tights grab.   

The announce team says they have “breaking news” and announce that it will in fact be Sting v HHH at Mania…as if we didn’t already know.

Then it was time for the IC Title match.  Dean opened up hot and heavy on Barrett with Bad News leaving the ring to get some separation but once back in the ring Ambrose kept on the offensive.  Barrett eventually connects with a kick that took him out of the ring and then slammed his head into the ring steps.  At that point, Barrett starts methodically working on the Lunatic Fringe.  Ambrose attempted to regain momentum but was stopped by Barrett and slammed into the ring post.  Ambrose was able to counter with his patented limp fish closeline followed up by the tornado ddt off of the ropes.  The match turned into a counterfest after this.  Barrett then connects with Wasteland and only gets a 2 count Barrett goes for the bull hammer but misses and Ambrose attempts the pin but only gets 2.  Barrett then tried to walk away with the title but Ambrose pulled him back into the ring this repeats several times.  The official calls for the bell because Ambrose refused to break.  Ambrose kept assaulting Barrett then stops and walks out with the IC Belt.  Looks like this rivalry will continue through Mania.

Then an unexpected entrance from the druids while the bells tolls and the lights drop...then a casket is rolled out to the ring while the Undertaker’s music plays.  Then the druids open the casket and Bray Wyatt emerges.  Bray delivers a promo discussing the first time he saw the Undertaker and how he feared him but then Wyatt calls Taker weak and broken and a shell of his former self.  Says Takers soul is lost and stuck between this world and the next and Wyatt says his mission is to send Taker home.  Wyatt claims to be the new face of fear and he no longer fears Undertaker and he says that at Mania he will claim the soul of the Undertaker.  Wyatt then lies back down in the casket and the druids close the lid.

Then the moment we all have been waiting for (ok that’s a lie): Rusev v Cena.  The first observation that I made is that John Cena might be the greatest shill for WWE Shop gear of all time (yes even better than DX or Hogan).  Rusev opens up the match with several shin kicks before Cena clocks Rusev with a right.  The match is slow and grinding but Rusev nailed a nice spin kick with some good elevation.  After the kick Rusev starts grinding on Cena setting up for the ultimate Cena rally.  Meanwhile the WWE Universe chimes in with the obligatory “Lets Go Cena” “Cena Sucks” as well as “USA” chants.  Cena has several attempts at the patented Cena rally but is stopped multiple times by Rusev.  Rusev starts getting frustrated after several attempted pins on Cena.  Which leads to the Cena patented rally with the multiple shoulder blocks, a back drop, and of course the 5 knuckle shuffle but as he goes for the AA, Rusev stops Cena cold.  Some more back and forth and Cena surprisingly pulls off a DDT from the ropes but Rusev kicks out.  Cena eventually locks in a crossface and Rusev powers out of it then slams Cena to the mat.  Rusev drops several elbows on Cena’s back and attempts to go for the Accolade and Cena counters into the STFU.  Rusev gets to the ropes for the break.  Cena then gets angry and Rusev and him have an exchange and eventually Cena lands the AA but Rusev kicks out.  Cena then goes to the top rope and gets caught and powerslammed into the mat.  At which point, Rusev locks in the Accolade and then a Cena attempt to power out several times and eventually picks up Rusev.  Lana rushes in and Rusev low blows Cena and the kicks Cena in the face.  Rusev locks in the Accolade one more time with Cena “out cold” at which point the ref stops the match.  Rusev retains the belt. 

The main event tonight is Daniel Bryan v Roman Reigns.  The match starts off incredibly slow with a lot of dancing around and holds.  My guess is that the pace was slowed down because Reigns cant go more than 10 minutes.  Bryan attempts several submission holds and Reigns repeatedly powers out of the holds.  The match continues at a tedious pace with Reigns countering every time Bryan builds momentum.  Apparently Bryan was told to make Reigns look strong and early on hes doing a great job of it.  Bryan begins working on the legs to gain his advantage and Roman once again powers out of a hold.  Reigns then busts out a Samoan drop and several clotheslines to keep Bryan from building momentum.  Then Reigns lands his patented drop kick from the floor and attempts the superman punch which Bryan counters with a kick to the midsection.   Bryan finally starts building some momentum.  Landing several kicks to Reigns, Bryan tries to flip Reigns off of the top ropes but Reigns is able to counter.  Reigns and Bryan attempt several moves off of the top ropes before Bryan suplexes him off of the ropes and goes for the pin.  Reigns kicks out but then Bryan goes for the Yes lock but Reigns makes it to the ropes and gets out of the ring.  The action gets hot and heavy outside of the ring with Reigns suplexing Bryan to the ground and Bryan slamming Reigns into the steps.  Both men are almost counted out but manage to beat the ten count.  Both men go back forth kicking out of each other’s finishers.  The crowd really starts backing Bryan at this point and Bryan locks in the Yes lock once again and Reigns is able to power out and fires down on Bryan with several punches and both men counter each other.  Bryan goes to finish off Reigns but Reigns spears Bryan and gets the pin.  Reigns is heading to Wrestlemania as the #1 contender.

Overall Grade for Fast Lane: C+,  above average but I really thought they might actually let Bryan and Reigns wrestle in the Main Event at Mania but for the Second year in a row, the most over wrestler in the company finds himself going into Mania without a match.  Overall, I can’t really say that I was surprised by much, but felt that Fast Lane was able to achieve its purpose; which was to move the main story lines for Wrestlemania and create a couple of new ones.  I would fully expect that Cena v Rusev probably gets a part II at Mania and potentially Stardust v Goldust as well as another Ambrose v Barrett match.  I have to imagine that the participants in the 6-man tag (except Seth Rollins) either get in the 30 man battle royal or they play a part in the Sting v Triple H match.  Speaking of Sting v Triple H, I think I might have been more excited for an Icon v Icon match between Taker and Sting but that apparently isn’t in the cards this year.  To be honest, I’m not sure that I am really excited for any match at Mania at this point but they have 5 weeks to change that. I guess we will have to take a wait and see approach with creative and see if they have the ability to build to an exciting Wrestlemania. 

What The Herd got right/wrong: 

Wrong Calls: No Pre-Show match, Divas opening PPV, Kidd Cesaro wins Tag Team Titles: No backstage ambush of Sting; Barrett retains title (due to DQ); Reigns wins #1 Contenders match

Right Calls: Authority wins (1/2 credit since I called for a DQ due to Orton interference); Randy Orton starts feud with Seth Rollins; Goldust wins (1/2 credit since I called for a Stardust DQ); Stardust goes off the deep end; Nikki Bella retains the Diva’s Title; Rusev retains the US Title (bonus points for calling the non submission submission);

Non Call: Bray Wyatt pulling a fast one on the WWE Universe with the Undertaker fake out/call out of Taker at Mania

Would love to hear other people’s opinions on the PPV tonight, or if you even watched.  

RyanTheGr8

SWATH Founder
Reply with quote  #6 
Very happy with the Sting vs HHH showdown, if nothing more then to confirm the already popular rumor that they will be having a match at Wrestlemania.

My "dream" match was always HBK vs Sting, but this is pretty damn close.  

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!